Deadnamed & Outed

Thanks IT and Teams for outing me yesterday.
Thanks for the actual piece of 💩, employed by my employer to ridicule me Infront of my colleagues, many who had no reason to know my former identity, had no reason to hear my former name and did not need me to announce my Trans status.


To add some context to the above, I have been out at work since March, name change in May and the IT system, it's been slow progress but I was assured several weeks ago now that everything had been updated.
I have attended meetings with external agencies and no one has ever raised my name had been different on their screen.

Yesterday in this meeting my deadname was called, obviously I did not answer , the solicitor called it out again and my manager said there is no one of that name here. He looked at me and said there is she is ***** and I don't have a CHé. I asked him to stop using the deadname and call me CHé. He said ***** is on his screen, I asked again for him to stop using that and my legal name is CHé. He appeared to find this amusing, but carried on. I turned my screen off at that point as I was upset. My manager, and others who know reached out and said he was unacceptable.

To add insult to injury he again deadnamed me, I decided enough was enough and explained to all that I am Trans, using my deadname was not acceptable and the service needs to support Trans staff better. With this he appeared to smile, smirk and be very off. I left the meeting.

My manager made her apologies and left to come after me as she was disgusted and disappointed how I had been treated and wanted to ensure I was supported 

This was swiftly escalated to director level. Although the IT/Teams issue was this initial problem, his attitude became the more significant problem and his microagressive manner impacted me very much.

A benefit from yesterday, I like to try and see a positive, was my manager saw and actually felt the impact it had on me , for the first time she really felt the impact of deadnaming and what that appears like when people dont stop and the impact on individuals by doing this was real for her. It was a learning experience for her and I am grateful for her and others support.

Coming out as Trans or Non-binary is not something done on a whim, not something we do unless we need to as it is bloody hard. We have to battle things like this daily, whether it's direct or indirect via the media etc 

I ask people to think about the impact of what they say and how they treat people. Would they like me to treat them how I was treated? 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TRIGGER WARNING

6 months on T , the reality

Awake /Dreams